Search for answers to common Interlibrary Loan questions or contact the Interlibrary Loan department if you do not find your answer here.
Interlibrary Loan Frequently Asked Questions
- All ILLiad patrons must be DYC students, faculty, or staff who have a valid DYC email account and an ILLiad account created at http://library.dyc.edu/services/ill/ . Go to the link “First Time Users Click Here” and complete the web form.
- ILL requests may be submitted online through the “Login and Place Requests” link on that same page, or directly through select research databases.
- Visit a librarian at the Periodicals Department on the Library’s 2nd
- Via telephone at 829-8107 or -7745
- Email email@example.com
- Journal, newspaper, magazine, and other articles.
- Books (except e-books)
- Book chapters up to 60 pages
NOTE: Special collection items such as test files, videos, DVDs, computer files, CD-Roms, reference books, textbooks, etc. may be available through ILL but are very difficult to obtain. Please contact ILL staff for more information.
- Journal articles become your property; they do not have to be returned.
- Books & non-print materials must be returned and are usually loaned for 3-4 weeks.
- ERIC Documents arrive on microfiche and can only be used in the library. They are available for 3-4 weeks.
- Yes, BUT these requests are strongly discouraged. Textbook requests are often denied or take longer than the standard 7-10 days to arrive and frequently are not renewable. Students who receive textbooks through ILL usually do not have them for the entire semester.
- Most ILL book requests will be available for pickup within 7-10 days at the library Circulation Desk on the 2nd floor of the library. Factors that affect delivery time include the number of libraries who own the item, popularity of the item, and distance between libraries.
- Most journal articles and book chapters arrive electronically within 3-5 days. Factors that affect delivery include the accuracy and completeness of the citation provided by the patron, how many libraries own the journal, and the date of publication.
- You will receive a notification via your DYC email account when your ILL item(s) has arrived. If it is a book requested, you will need to pick up your book at the Circulation Desk on the 2nd floor of the library. Books are typically loaned for 3-4 weeks. If it is a journal article, you will be emailed instructions to retrieve your items electronically by logging into your ILLiad account. Once downloaded, journal articles become your property; they do not need to be returned.
- Patrons can request renewals via their ILLiad accounts. Under “Checked out items,” click on the item you wish to renew, and if renewals are allowed for that item, there will be a link on that page to “Renew Request.”
- The lending library, not the Montante Family Library, grants renewals. The Montante Family Library cannot guarantee that the lender will approve a renewal.
- Generally, lending libraries allow only one renewal.
- The library will send an email to the patron’s DYC email on file with the notification of renewal approval, with the new due date, or of denial if a renewal is not granted. Patrons may also call or email for renewal due date information.
- How much are the overdue fines and fees for lost or damaged items?
- $1.00 per day for each overdue item
- The borrower is responsible for paying the replacement cost of the damaged or lost items, plus any fees added by the lending library.
Students are strictly limited to 15 requests open(unfilled) at a time.
SERIALS, DATABASES, AND INTERLIBRARY LOAN DEPT.