Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I participate in ILL?
- ALL ILL borrowers MUST be registered Library Patrons, in good standing, with no overdue books or fines. To verify your library status, please see an ILL Librarian at the Research Desk, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ILL users are allowed to place up to five requests per day.
- Interlibrary loan request forms may be submitted online, using the links listed above. Print forms are available at the Research Desk, library 1st floor. Submit them at the research desk, by campus mail, or by fax to (716) 829-7770.
- How do I contact a librarian with questions?
- Visit a librarian at the Research Desk, 1st floor library.
- Telephone a librarian at (716) 829-7747.
- E-mail a librarian at email@example.com.
- What kinds of materials are available via ILL?
- Journal articles and most books circulate via ILL.
- Special collection items, such as test files, videos, DVDs, computer files, CD ROMs, reference books, and text books are very difficult to obtain via ILL. See a Reference Librarian for assistance.
- What are the borrowing restrictions for ILL items?
- Journal articles become your property; they do not have to be returned.
- Books & non-print materials must be returned and are usually loaned for 3-4 weeks.
- Some dissertations must be returned in 3-4 weeks, others become your property.
- ERIC Documents arrive on microfiche and can only be used in the library. They are available for 3-4 weeks.
- Can I use ILL to obtain textbooks?
- The Montante Family Library strongly discourages students from requesting class textbooks through Interlibrary Loan. In most cases, requests for textbooks are not filled by other libraries. If they are filled, the requests usually take longer than 10 days to be processed because multiple requests must be placed before finding a library willing to loan the item. Additionally, it is rare for a student who receives a textbook via Interlibrary Loan to have the book for the entire semester. Please speak with a librarian if you have questions.
- How long does it take?
- Most ILL requests are filled and available for pick up within 10 days.
- How will I know when my item is in?
- You will receive notification via your DYC e-mail account when your ILL items are ready to be picked up at the research desk, Library 1st floor. You may also call, visit, or e-mail the library research desk to ask if your items have arrived.
- ILL books must be picked up and returned to the Research Desk. Items will not be mailed to patrons.
- Can I renew an ILL item?
- Patrons may request renewals via telephone, email, or at the Reference Desk.
- Renewals are granted by the lender, not DYC.
- The Montante Family Library cannot guarantee the lender will approve a renewal.
- It is the patron's responsibility to check renewal dates and return the item on time.
- Patrons may call, email or visit the desk to ascertain the new due date after renewing an item.
- There is a $1/day fine for all overdue items. Replacement cost is $45 per item.
- ***Journal articles do not need to be returned to the library.***
Phone: (716) 829-7764