The D'Youville College Archives document the history and evolution of the College through records, historical documents, publications, artifacts, and other materials.
D'Youville College Archives
The D’Youville College Archives contain the institutional records and historical materials of D’Youville, and document the history and evolution of the College from 1908 to the present. Materials in the collection include administrative records, college publications, audio-visual materials, photographs, artifacts, and rare books.
If you have questions about the archives collection, or would like to inquire about making a donation, contact the Archives at 716-829-8106.
The college archives are located on the third floor of The Montante Family Library. The Library is between Fargo and West Avenues; see Building 6 on the campus map.
The operating hours for the archives are Friday, 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM. To make an appointment for access on other days, please call 716-829-8106.
About the Archives
The D’Youville College Archives was established on February 1, 1967 by Sister St. Mary Jones at the request of College President Sister Francis Xavier Lynch.
The largest collection in the archives, College Records documents the history and evolution of D’Youville from its beginnings in 1908 to the present. Materials are arranged by record groups, which include Administration, Academic programs, Departments and Offices, Evaluation, Facilities, Faculty, Institutional Advancement, Affiliated Organizations and Projects, Students, Memorabilia, and Media.
An extensive collection of over 1,000 photographs covering D’Youville history.
D’Youville College was founded by the Grey Nuns in 1907. Although the official Archives of the Grey Nuns of the Sacred Heart are held in Yardley, Pennsylvania, the College Archives does collect histories of the Grey Nuns, as well as biographies of St. Marguerite and Mother Bruyere, founder of the Grey Nuns of Ottawa. There are also several theses on the history of D’Youville as well as Sister Mary Sheila Driscoll’s pamphlet series on the history of the College.
Comprising over 250 volumes, highlights of the Rare Book collection include a first edition David Copperfield in original wrappers, Londina Illustrata, Les Oeuvres de Monsieur de Balzac, and The Life and Works of Jean Leon Gerome. The oldest book in the collection is an incomplete copy of The First Theological Orations of Gregory of Nazianzus from 1523. The collection also includes selections from two personal libraries, that of Dr. Henry A. Lappin and Bishop William Turner.
Dr. Lappin was a Professor of English at D’Youville and avid book collector. Most of his books have been inscribed by the author. Bishop Turner was former Chancellor of D’Youville and bequeathed his book collection to the College on his death in 1936.
The Archives maintains A to Z subject files of topics, events, and people related to D’Youville College (the “vertical file”). Materials contained in each file vary, but can include images, correspondence, brochures, and clippings.
Sister Nancy Kaczmarek
Location: LIB 3FL