Circulation Information and Policy
General Borrowing Information
Library materials circulate to DYC students, faculty, staff, and alumni. Library users not affiliated with the aforementioned institutions, but who wish to borrow items from the Montante Family Library should consult with the Circulation Manager.
- Library materials may be borrowed for up to 30 days, unless otherwise specified.
- Library materials can be checked out at the Circulation Desk on the Library's 2nd floor.
- DYC students, faculty, staff and alumni may borrow up to 20 items. DaVinci High School students may borrow up to 5 items.
- To borrow library materials, patrons must present a valid, bar-coded DYC identification card, or a current Infopass.
Renewing Library Materials
- Items borrowed from the DYC Library may be renewed up to 3 times.
- If the items to be renewed are overdue, they can only be renewed if the fines are under $2.00.
- Each renewal is good for an additional 30 days, unless otherwise specified.
- If a hold has been placed on an item, it will not be renewed and the item must be returned by the originally assigned due date.
- Library materials may be renewed in person at the Circulation Desk, or by telephone at (716) 829-7618.
Audiovisual & other Multimedia Materials
- Audiovisual cassettes & DVDs circulate for 7 days.
- Audiovisual cassettes may be renewed up to 2 times for 7days each time.
- All other audiovisual and multimedia materials circulate for the normal 30-day borrowing period, unless otherwise specified.
Reference materials do not circulate. Only under special requests from DYC faculty members, and with the pre-approval of an on-duty librarian, may reference materials ever leave the library building.
Periodicals, regardless of their format or date, are considered reference materials, and as such, do not circulate. Only under special requests from DYC faculty members, and with the pre-approval of an on-duty librarian, may periodical materials ever leave the library building.
- Test file materials cannot be checked out of the library by anyone, for any reason.
- Test file materials are available only for in-library use.
- Test file materials may be requested at the Research Desk on the third floor from a librarian, and must be returned to the Research Desk.
- A valid DYC identification card is required to use test file materials. Your I.D. card will be held until the all materials are returned.
- Students may only view one test at a time.
- There is a 2-hour time limit on checkout. If less than two hours before closing, the test file materials are due back 15 minutes before closing.
- For each ½ hour late a test is returned, a $1.00 fine will be charged.
Rationale for Test File Policies
- This procedure allows the greatest access to the greatest number of people. Several classes now use the test files simultaneously. We strive to provide equal access to all students.
- Many tests have been returned with sections missing or pages torn out, which hurts all students.
- Tests are prohibitively expensive and difficult to replace.
- The test file was originally established with a grant received by the Education Department. One requirement of this grant was that the tests be kept in a secure location. This procedures helps keep the tests intact.
Reserved Library Materials
- Library materials are placed on reserve do not circulate, since the purpose of placing an item on reserve is that all patrons have access to that item.
- Physical reserve items, such as books or photocopies of articles, are available at the Circulation Desk on the 2nd floor. These materials may be borrowed, with a valid DYC identification card, for up to 2 hours, or until 15 minutes before closing.
Delinquency & Lost Library Materials
Fines for items from the general circulating collection are 25 cents ($0.25) per day, per item. Fines for items from the reserve collection are 25 cents ($0.25) per hour, per item, per day. There are no exceptions to this rule!
A drop box is located outside the front entrance of the library for those that cannot get to the library during business hours. The book drop is open/unlocked only when the Library is not. VHS/DVD's can be returned in the book drop.
Library patrons that accumulate fines of $2.00 or more will have their borrowing privileges suspended until those balances have been settled.
Students with outstanding library fines will be prevented from registering for classes, and will be unable to obtain any official transcripts until those fines have been paid.
Library materials are the sole responsibility of those that have borrowed them. A $45.00 charge will be assessed for any items that have been lost.
Interlibrary Loan Materials
- Items borrowed through interlibrary loan do not belong to the Montante Family Library.
- These items must be picked up and returned to the on-duty librarian at the Research Desk on the building's 1st floor.
- A charge of $1.00 per day, per item, is assessed for overdue interlibrary loan materials.
- A full description of Interlibrary loan services and policies is available at library.dyc.edu/services/ill.
Phone: (716) 829-7618